Saturday, October 22, 2011

Surprise in the Insulation

A couple of days ago, I tasked myself to prepare the basement for the arrival of some special guests.  From the negotiations with the seller, we were able to procure funds to make some structural repairs in the basement.  But, before the contractor arrives, I had to take down the insulation in the areas where they'll be working.  With an old home, you never know what you'll find.  My cousin mentioned to me that he still finds little surprises in his older home.  Well, funny ha ha, so did I.  

Taking down the insulation, I discovered mice... not one... or two, or even a few.  There was a mouse graveyard in the basement insulation with their fecal matter being stored in one area, a habitat in another, a food silo in yet another.  The little guys were organized to say the least.  Around the perimeter of the house, I found holes in the landscape... one can only guess where they led.  

After our special guests have completed their work, I plan on taking down all the insulation, cleaning up the mess and installing fresh new batting.  Is it expensive?  I have no idea, but I have to correct this problem.