"OK! I know it looks bad, but it looks worse than it really is. I swear!"
|Before , left: Rubber cemented (and painted) wallpaper. After, right: Wallpaper removed, punky plaster exposed.|
|I removed the wall paper entirely, along with the two sashes, sill, molding and punky plaster. Notice the solid piece of wood at the window sill height that is where the original chair rail would have been.|
I had a plan (in my head). I needed to learn how to do repairs on my own home yet books only showed vague interpretations of other jobs but I am a visual and hands-on person. My plan was to contact Mr. Sunderland of Sunderland Period Homes. I had the idea that since he's employed several talented persons, perhaps I could hire but one to show me how. I wanted to learn how to do this and that and thought that perhaps I could "rent" one of his carpenters or plasters for a day to show me the ropes. An email was sent off.
|View from the southeast corner of the home towards the west. The window is just west of our coffin door. Notice the slight bump that is just below the window.|
|South exterior wall.|
|South exterior wall, window and coffin door.|
$400 is for weatherstripping the two existing reproduction sashes. What?! It costs less than a dollar a foot to purchase! There's no way that labor could be that expensive!
$3,200 is for (quoted from the estimate):
- Flash the header window with lead.
- Attach wood lathe properly under the window.
- Plaster over existing lathe.
- Re-install sash and window trim.
- Remove exterior storm window.
- Strip paint from exterior window frame.
- Restore shape of exterior sill.
- Remove siding at left, right and beneath window to assess condition of sheathing.
- Install new 30 lb. tar paper around and under window.
- Install "ice and water" for water proofing around window.
- Caulk edges around window frame and re-install siding with rosehead nails.
My readers, when the job is complete, and time allows, look for a how-to for waterproofing and restoring a leaking 250+ year old window and frame (to be updated in 2014).
Side note (but important): After the fiasco with my son's lead levels, I decided to take a sample of the underlying paint from our parlor's newly exposed surfaces.
|D-Lead test samples.|